| || HBL News: First-Year Player Draft |
Tuesday, December 1st, 2009
In the few hours remaining until the draft begins today, GMs across Heartland Baseball League will be penned up in their offices, making hurried last minute notes about each of their most coveted prospects. Fearful that things won't go as planned, many of them are still playing through the myriad scenarios that are all but certain to unfold in the high-stakes lottery of drafting. Scouting teams play devil's advocate, argue strategy back and forth and try to help their general manager gain the strategic upper hand, even though they know a lot of what transpires today will come down to being in the right place at the right time. BNN projects that the top picks of the draft will be:
1. Glenn Foster, 18 year-old RHP out of high-school.
2. Jesse Richmond, 18 year-old RF out of high-school.
3. Don Byrd, 22 year-old RHP out of college.
4. Brian Wilson, 18 year-old LF out of high-school.
5. Dave Worthen, 22 year-old SS out of college.
6. Cliff Smith, 18 year-old SS out of high-school.
7. Jason Snyder, 22 year-old SS out of college.
8. George Goode, 18 year-old RHP out of high-school.
9. Kyle Mueller, 18 year-old LF out of high-school.
10. Paul Wilson, 22 year-old CF out of college.
These ballclubs will have the first five choices: Columbia, Evansville, Dayton, Duluth and Davenport.
| || BNN Stats: Honestly, It's Just Muscles |
Monday, November 30th, 2009
Here is a list of the heaviest players in the Heartland Baseball League...
Rich Austin, JEC, 285 lbs
Carl Dawson, JEC, 275 lbs
Francisco Cora, -, 270 lbs
William Griffin, FH, 265 lbs
Bill Jenkins, SB, 260 lbs
| || $2,500,000 Lands RF Wall for Stars |
Tuesday, November 24th, 2009
The Stars and Artie Wall appeared before the Lafayette media today as the two sides emerged from marathon contract talks.
Wall, a right fielder, is poised to make $2,500,000 over 4 years.
In his 1371-game career, Wall has hit at a .358 clip and collected 1758 hits with 303 doubles, 61 triples, 220 homers, and 852 RBIs.